Travel Awards for PhD Students (TAPS)
In recognition of scholarly activities, such as oral or poster research presentations during Interim and Annual Society Conferences, the Office of the Dean is pleased to announce a competitive award for travel-related expenses.
Graduate students in the College of Pharmacy’s PhD-granting programs are eligible to receive a travel award if they are presenting a paper or a poster at a conference relevant to their field of study. Travel-related expenses may include registration fees, travel, and/or hotel accommodation.
If you have applied for and have been accepted to a conference to present a talk or poster by the deadline, you are eligible to apply for the TAPS program unless you have already received a TAPS award during your graduate career. Exact financial support will depend on the travel-related expenses you incur and the number of applicants. Please note, the money you receive is considered taxable income.
Applications for the February 1, 2022 deadline are currently being accepted.
Check out specific information on how to apply below.
- Application form (UIC login required)
- Proof of abstract acceptance (Note: if you have not received the acceptance for the conference at the time of your TAPS application that’s not a problem. You just need to submit your proof acceptance whenever you receive it to email@example.com)
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- A personal statement (1 page max, outlining the importance of your attendance at this conference, relevance to your studies, future career, etc.)
Travel award winners are requested to submit the following to the Assistant Dean of Advancement following their conference attendance*:
- A photo of them at the conference;
- A quote about how the conference experience was beneficial to their studies and/or future career;
- A thank you note to the appropriate donor, as identified by the Office of Advancement and Alumni Affairs.
*Submission of the above photo/quote/thank you serves as authorization for staff members of the University of Illinois at Chicago and/or authorized representatives of the University of Illinois and/or authorized representatives of magazines, newspapers, periodicals, radio, television and other media as well as public and private agencies to use and publish such photograph(s) together with such identification as may be reasonably necessary and important.
- Cycle 1: due February 1
- Cycle 2: due May 1
- Cycle 3: due August 1
- Cycle 4: due November 1